Operation Higher Education #BroncoVeterans
Operation Higher Education #BroncoVeterans PonyUp campaign has closed, but you can still make a gift and support the program!
Just visit https://give.boisestate.edu/ and use FR188 in the Fund ID space.
Boise State is home to about 1300 student veterans pursuing their education.
That is a staggeringly huge number of veterans for a university. Transitioning out of the military and into higher education can be an immensely difficult process. Veterans face unique challenges on campus and need a support structure dedicated to their needs. Peer Advisors for Veteran Education (PAVE) is a volunteer, student veteran-run organization on campus that works to provide the resources necessary for veterans to reach their academic goals and become successful graduates of Boise State University.
PAVE provides peer advising for student veterans by student veterans. We pair up junior and senior students with incoming freshman veterans to make sure student veterans get the support they need to achieve their academic goals. Social support is often overlooked, but is a critical component to feeling connected and valued as a student.
We are raising funds with this PonyUp campaign to support our special events and outreach efforts.
Building a community of shared experiences
One of the biggest reasons veterans stop pursuing their education is a lack of connection to the campus community. It is not easy leaving a tight and cohesive environment only to come to campus and feel isolated. The reasons for feeling this way are not intentional, but they exist regardless. As veterans and non-traditional students, there is both an age gap and a life experience gap.
PAVE has been working diligently to build a community of veterans on campus. By making connections with upperclassmen student veterans working as peer advisors it reassures the new student veterans that they are not alone here.
Your donation will help us with special events and outreach efforts
PAVE works hard to provide opportunities for veterans to come together and connect as a group. PAVE also seeks to provide opportunities for student veterans to decompress or relieve stressors that are common among veterans.
- Monthly Outreach – A chance to host veterans for community connection and networking
- Holiday Meals – We host large holiday potlucks at the veteran’s services center for the many dislocated veterans, who have no family in the area to share holidays with.
- Outdoor Activities – We’ve held nerf wars on campus to get veterans and the broader campus population together for some fun. We’ve also hosted inflatable obstacles courses and battle balls.
- Family Tickets to the Zoo and Discovery Center – School keeps students busy and they don’t always get to spend quality time with their family. Money is often a top concern for veterans so we work to provide tickets for veterans to decompress and enjoy some time with the family in a fun and learning environment.
- Sponsor a family for the holidays – This year, we will sponsor student veterans and provide a very happy holidays for them. Their gifts will be purchased on our behalf to try and ease the financial burdens many veterans face. The more money we raise the more families we can support.
- Finals Relief – Veterans love being fed, and it’s a great way to get people together especially during stressful times like finals. So during finals week, we provide food every day to make it easier for students to study.
- Tailgates – We love bronco football, PAVE hosts several tailgates in the fall before home games to bring veterans together and enjoy some finger foods, talk football, and make connections,
Thank you for your support! If you would like to learn more or become involved with PAVE, please contact Nicholas Carter (NickCarter@u.boisestate.edu).